Exercise therapy is a regimen of physical activities to improve the way the body functions. It focuses on moving different parts of the body to increase mobility and release pain. Exercise therapy can be used to manage or prevent pain. It can also be referred to as therapeutic exercise.
There are many benefits of exercise therapy. As we age, our bodies need more stretching and exercise to continue to be able to move in the ways we are supposed to. Exercise therapy is beneficial because it can help many different conditions you may be dealing with.Types of Exercise Therapy
A typical exercise routine will be catered to a specific need or body part and can include:
- Range of motion (ROM) exercises to maintain and increase the range of motion. There are also ROM exercises and techniques to improve joint mobilization and soft tissue stretching. Types of ROM are passive, active and active assisted.
- Muscle performance exercises to increase muscle strength, power and endurance
- Postural exercises to improve your posture
- Balance and coordination exercises to help patients maintain their center of gravity while improving balance and coordination.
- Relaxation exercises to help patients with breathing methods and induce relaxation.
It is best to consult with a professional before trying any exercises on your own as they can result in further injury if performed incorrectly.Benefits of Exercise Therapy
Many times, athletes are most in need of exercise therapy after encountering an injury. However, disease can also be the reason that you may need to engage in exercise therapy. According to Spine Health, exercises are of great importance to manage acute and chronic lower back pain, strengthen the lower back and to improve the quality of life.
There are many benefits of exercise therapy highlighted below:
- Reduce or eliminate pain. The various exercises in exercise therapy can help to eliminate any joint or muscle pain and even prevent it from returning. Helps avoid surgery. Going through exercise therapy can help you avoid needing surgery by eliminating or relieving pain. If it doesn’t avoid surgery completely, the exercises will aid a much faster recovery post surgery.
- Improve mobility. Exercise therapy can help you no matter your age if you feel as though you are having trouble moving around. There are a number of stretching and strengthening exercises to improve your mobility.
- Recover from a stroke. After a stroke, it is common to see loss of movement. Exercise therapy can be used to strengthen any part of the body that has decreased in functionality. It can also be helpful for the patient’s independence in moving around the house.
- Recover from or prevent a sports injury. Sports can increase your risk of physical injuries and certain exercises can be used to strengthen your body to prevent those injuries. It is important to take the proper steps to recovery before returning to sports after an injury.
- Manage diabetes and vascular conditions. Exercise therapy can improve circulation, decrease blood glucose levels and can prevent someone at high risk of diabetes from getting the disease. Improve mental health. Studies show that people dealing with mental illnesses benefit from exercise, even if it is just 30 minutes a day. Exercise therapy can lead patients to see improvement in sleeping difficulties, stress, energy, self esteem and physical health.
- Manage age-related issues. As you age, you may develop arthritis or osteoporosis. Exercise therapy can give you new ways to manage arthritic or osteoporotic conditions. Manage heart and lung disease. Whether you have experienced a heart attack or had a procedure done, physical exercises can help your daily functioning. Through stretching, conditioning and breathing exercises you can help yourself to clear fluid in your lungs.
- Manage women’s health. Women have health concerns related to pregnancy and postpartum care. Specialized exercise regimens can help with these and other women’s health concerns.
At Auburn Chiropractic Associates we strive to reduce your pain and help you recover naturally. We offer an individualized approach to diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions of the spine and extremities. We are experienced in the treatment of back pain, neck pain, and headaches. Additionally, we treat many hip, knee and ankle/foot conditions as well as wrist/hand, elbow and shoulder conditions. We are committed to providing our patients with safe and effective treatment as well as educating them on prevention to reduce recurring pain and dysfunction. Please contact us today at 334-826-2225 if you would like to make an appointment.